The railway/station opened in1880 and was on the Great
Eastern Line, which in 1923
became part of the London and North Eastern Railway. passenger trains ceased in1952, freight trains ceased in 1966, a connection was made to the ex-M & GNR Line
at Themelthorpe routing traffic through Cawston until 1985.
After the line closed, it was removed and now is part of a rural trail for
and horse riders
called Marriott's Way, the route is named after William
was the chief engineer and manager
of the M & GN system for 40 years.
Around the early 1980ís The Railway Development Society joined
with the Aylsham and District Action Committee to run a
nostalgic diesel train trip from Reepham to Gt Yarmouth. It was
fully booked and carried around 600 passengers marking the first
Sunday rail journey for 40 years.
Leaving Reepham Station at 9.20am, the train stopped at Cawston,
Aylsham, Buxton, Coltishall and Wroxham picking up passengers at
every stop arriving at Gt Yarmouth about 11.20am.
The idea was to create interest in the rail line and prevent
total closure. It was hoped parts of the line would one day be
reopened to passenger trains.
Further North, through Bluestone, ran a branch of the Midland and Great Northern
Cawston's first regular bus service to Norwich began in 1914.
Mr M. B.
the first car in
the village in 1913.
Click on Picture
to enlarge, Click back on browser to return
Railway crossing & Signal box
Ally Burgess last Station
Bill Robson - Signalman
about 1934 & in Dance Band
Railway Station about 1950
Reepham Road Railway
Bridge Jan 2010
Holt Rd - 2009
Railway Crossing 1947
William Robson,Crossing Keeper--William "Billy" Turner--Mr Peart-- George Watts
Railway Station Signal Box about 1940
Bill Robson & Frank Hines - Signalmen
Frank Hines (on right in photo) was signalman at Cawston - 1938-42.
When the second world was declared he was visiting his family in Ipswich,
his son Ken playing with his toy soldiers in the back garden remember him
saying war was declared and he must return to his signal box, he picked
up his Raleigh "Golden Arrow" racing cycle and cycled back to Cawston.
Frank had congenial lodgings with Hewitts the Butcher in New Street.
Village Sign at
Entrance to Railway Station, Reepham Road about 1937
named after the nearby Bluestone wood which it is believed was named for
bluestones found in the area, this station
is actually in the parish of Heydon but is nearer
to Cawston, opened
in 1883, closed for passengers in 1916 and for goods in 1959.